Sunday, April 8, 2018

Reinventing Frankenstein

      
       
      I believe its human nature to try and separate different parts of our lives. We separate our home life, work life, life with friends and life with family. And most of all we separate the good from the bad. 
       It’s my philosophy that most of us disassociate in ways that allow us to live happy and healthy lives. We find ways to fine-tune life so that the good days are because we deserve them and have worked hard, and the bad days are because of some external source that is picking on us like a bully in a schoolyard. 
When I found out I had a terminal illness I started to classify days as “Good” and “Bad” as they related to the illness. My whole life started to become, “I have my good days and my bad days.” Its human nature to believe that we have days that are better than others but it was more noticeable now.
When I was feeling good and healthy — ‘Good Days’, I wanted to feel like this for the rest of my days; enjoying every moment of life. Inversely, when I would feel terrible and sick — ‘Bad Days’, I would lay in bed and blame this evil life-sucking tapeworm of a disease that was ravaging my body to the point of wanting to give up and never living another day. Somehow, those “Bad Days”, made me believe that my whole life was going to be miserable. The days when I could wrestle with my grandkids or go hiking would disappear into the darkness that encased me on the “Bad Days.” 
I lost sight of the days that I loved and wanted for the rest of my life. I felt like I had a dissociative disorder where I was separated into two entirely different lives; the good day Shawn and the bad day Shawn. And like having dissociative identity disorder, there was a dominant day and it seemed to be the “Bad Day Shawn.” The “Good Day Shawn” only came out on occasions when the “Bad day Shawn” would allow it. At first, I believed that I closely associated with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in Robert Louis Stevenson novel of the same name.

*Fun Fact — After his wife burned the original copy, Robert Louis Stevenson re-wrote the entire novel in 6 weeks under the influence of cocaine. He related the story to be likened to him sober and under the influence, respectively.

I know, I need to reconsider what I think is a fun fact.

I came to a realization that, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a conflict of moral character and multi-personalities. I'm sure my behavior changed but my personality was rarely affected.
I felt like two totally different people. Not just personalities or actions. I realized I was beginning to feel like Frankenstein’s Monster in Mary Shelly’s novel.  
The story of Victor Frankenstein and his creation is much closer in my mind. Dr. Frankenstein was attempting to reanimate a body he spent two years painstakingly constructing.

*Another fun fact — The use of different body parts that were haphazardly sewn together as well as electricity to animate those parts were never in the original novel; they were actually the result of a movie adaptation in 1931.

Part of Frankenstein's rejection of his creation (the monster) is the fact that he doesn’t name him; instead, it is called “wretch", "monster", "creature", "demon", "devil", "fiend", and "it".
The “monster”, was intelligent and articulate in Shelly’s original works. However, he was so hideous that people feared him and ran from him.  
This more closely resembles how I feel about my disease. It’s a vile wretch of a creature that lives inside me and is dreadful and feared. My mind is telling me I need to get up and do things but my body cannot.
However, I recognized it just wants to be loved like every other part of me; It just wants to be accepted for what it is and not mocked and persecuted like the monster in Shelly’s book.
In order to take back control of “Shawn”, I had to stop using the terms “Good Days” or “Bad Days” they are all just days. I needed to embrace me for who and what I am, both the person that everyone else sees and the monster that I was trying to control.
In all honesty, I am the monster, on all days. Not that I feel like I repulse or scare people off — at least not on the days I shower, but to the extent that it lives inside of me and always will. I will no longer loathe or dread the creature; I will accept it for what it is and live as harmonious with it as I can.
When I try to separate the good from the bad I will always have the monster to deal with. The separation is what makes it feared and rejected. I will always detest those days weeks or even months unless I accept the bad with the good.
The “Monster” is just as valuable and important as the person that created it. What I mean by this is that we all want to live and run and play and not have to worry about the days that we can’t. If we don’t accept the days we can’t, the “Monster” comes out stronger and angrier for being ignored and we lose sight of the days that we classify as good.
We need to realize that the pain or the fatigue is telling us something and to embrace that as well. For me, the pain tells me that I am still alive and fighting and the fatigue is my sign that I have fought as hard as I can. I have given the monster a name and an identity, I no longer have to fear him; he is me and I am him.
Let’s look at this from a different perspective. If all you ever experienced was “Good Days”, you wouldn’t know that it was good; it would just be another day.
We need “Bad Days” to experience and feel the joy of the “Good Days.” I found that the “Good Days” are even better when I have them, and all days are worth living and learning from.

"This too shall pass."

If we continue to focus on the bad and ignore the good we will live our lives believing that our life is bad. No matter how dark or deep you believe you are, it will pass; tomorrow is a new day.
For the past 4 years, I have been on a major path of discovery, one that surpasses any I have ever been on in my life. I have taken on more challenges and attempted greater things than ever before.

“This is a gift, not a ‘Monster.’”

I have been allowed to see life in a way that I never would have if it wasn’t for this disease; through the eyes of the “monster.” I was given a second chance to live.
As far as not allowing good or bad days, there’s one specific thing that first must be met to realize that we can always have a better life.

"Attitude is everything."

Yeah, I know cliché but it’s true. It took time for me to realize that this disorder isn’t the end, ok it is terminal but until then it’s not the end.
It is up to us, how we choose to accept and use those so-called “Bad Days”. We make the choice and we decide what is good and bad and I choose that no matter what all days are “Good.”
I have heard many times that bad thing happens for a reason. Maybe that reason is to find the good, maybe to teach a life lesson, maybe because you’re a dick and deserve it.
But for me, there’s no good or bad, they are all just days and all days are all worth living. 


SP




No comments:

Post a Comment