Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Price Is Right

There is a song that has been repeating over and over in my
head and unlike most things that my head plays over and over, this I am actually paying attention to.
Its only two verses but they are becoming very impressed on my thoughts.


Seems like everybody's got a price
I wonder how they sleep at night
When the sale comes first
And the truth comes second
Just stop for a minute and smile”

“It's not about the money money money
We don't need your money money money
We just wanna make the world dance
Forget about the price tag.”
–     Jessie J

Don’t judge!

There are many different prices that we ‘apparently’ must pay in life. There’s the price we pay for health, which could include doctors or other healthcare, gym memberships, diets and other fad devices that supposedly make us healthier and live longer.
         There’s also the price we pay for not following the things listed above such as, fast food or junk food, which we pay for with an unhealthy body and possibly a shortened life.
Then there are drugs which have multiple costs. The cost that you expend in getting the drugs, the cost of the damage to your body, and we can’t forget the cost to loved ones and other people in your life.
         The price we pay for fame, the price of education or the biggest price tag of all - the cost of falling in love. As the Beyoncé would say, If you liked it, then you should have put a ring on it.”  Then, of course, there’s the Price Is Right, which actually isn’t a price you have to pay unless you win.
My point is, everything in life comes with a price; whether it’s an actual dollar amount or a cost of physical or mental strain.
We seem to believe that something isn’t good unless we pay a lot for it — “That’s my new truck, paid 90 grand fer ‘er; she’s my baby. It does everthin but chews my food fer me.” Of course, you have to read that using your best redneck voice so it makes the most sense.
If you pay a lot for something you’re irresponsible for wasting money, “I can’t believe he spent 90 grand on that truck, I only paid 6 and mine will do everything his will.”
We believe both; the more expensive the better and at the same time the more we pay, the more foolish we are. It’s never-ending and always a losing battle. So where do we draw that line? How much is too much? 

What is it that makes one thing worth any amount and another not worth spit?

I recently had the opportunity to get my sight back. Ok, maybe I should restate that. There is a company that has developed a device that allows me to see more than I can without the device. 
Using a C.C.D. – HD camera, the device allows the user to change the contrast, zoom in and focus that image on the parts of my eye that still receive signals. “Walla!” Sight!
Ha-ha, just kidding, had ya going didn’t I? — I know its spelled Voilà”.  Two years of high school French and I can say, Voilà and “Il y a la porte!” which mean:

Voilà” – Ta-Da; Presto; Behold; but also means, there it is.
Il y a la porte!” – simply; “There’s the door!”

I remember these two sentences so vividly because they were the two most used phrases in the class for some reason. Well actually, directed towards me. My teacher would look at me, point to the door and say, il y a la porte!” and if I took too long leaving she would tap the door frame and shout, Voilà!”, “Voilà!!”
So, other than learning I was a terrible student in French class, the first part of that paragraph is true. The device has been on the market for a couple of years now and it has gone through testing and modifications and more testing until we have the modern product that I was privileged to try out.
It was both exhilarating and shocking to be able to see the mountains again. It wasn’t the way I remember seeing them, but I could see the snow on the peaks and the shadows in the valleys. I couldn’t actually see the trees, but I knew where they were as well as the ridgeline against the sky and I saw all of this from about 5 miles away. I normally can’t see much beyond 5 feet and here I was, looking at mountains 5 miles away with some definition.
The device takes a picture of print, zooms in and adjusts the contrast, allowing me to read print at 20/20. For me, it’s like reading a 26 pt. font at 2 feet rather than 8 pt. font at 10 feet.
All in all, I can ‘see’ the advantages to having such a device. Sightseeing would once again be something I could actually do and not just say I’m doing. It plugs directly into a television or computer so the image on the screen is projected right into my eyes.
Fishing would be an easier experience. I wouldn’t trip over rocks and bushes, I would be able to tie flies on my line and see where I’m casting. To actually witness the fish take the fly off the water would be amazing.
Working on small projects like tightening screws and bolts, changing the oil in my truck, (Yes the $6,000 one), or doing Paracord and other crafts I really enjoy would be easier and I wouldn’t get as frustrated.
For the first time ever, I would be able to see the faces of my grandchildren fully, not just blurry light and dark images.

“What is the price of that?” “What is that worth?”

I’m having an existential dilemma over this issue. I know, I know! You’re saying, 
“Do it, no matter the cost!” 
“It’s worth it!”  
“What are you waiting for!?” 

Let me explain.

Let’s go back to the trucks; do I really need to spend $90,000 on a vehicle when my $6,000 vehicle is doing just fine? I like my $6,000 truck; it takes me where I need to go and I don’t have to worry about scratching or wrecking it, losing the value of the new truck. In contrast, I wouldn't have the worry about the new truck breaking down. 
In other words, I have come to terms with my loss of vision; I am happy and content. My “$6,000” eyesight works to the extent of what I need right now. However, the “$90,000” eyes would sure be comfortable and make life easier in some ways. It would also be, in my eyes, a luxury I thought I would never get.
Or am I looking at it from a skewed perspective? Rather than comparing two trucks, maybe I own a car; it gets me around, and for the most part what I need. However, I need to haul some lumber and the car won’t do. Then the upgrade to the truck would be beneficial.
But would I need the $90,000 upgrade or would the $6,000 due? So, back to my original question, “what is the price of life?” Or in my case — sight? 
If a loved one is in the hospital and there is a procedure that will save his or her life we all, I believe, would do it at any cost; but this, the “upgrade”, is just an enhancement or an elective type of procedure.
When does the benefit outweigh the cost? At what point does too much mean too much and how do we differentiate between the two?


SP

3 comments:

  1. I can't speak for you, but I do know somewhat of what you speak. My eyesight is terrible. Not anywhere near what yours is, but an annoyance none the less. Having an impairment, is something everyone has. Some are just more easily seen. Even that $90,000 truck is an impairment to the owner. Too much to worry over if you ask me.
    If I could get that retinal replacement, sure, I would love to see clearly again, but the sacrifice that my family would have you pay for it is just too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did you decide to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided not to go with them. The cost is too high and it would put a strain on what I am enjoying with my family. I am hoping that by the time I'm ready that there will be even better cameras and optics.

      Delete